Name Change generally refers to a legal act allowing a person to adopt a name different from their name at birth, marriage, or adoption. A legal name change through a court order is the first step in the name-change process. A person must officially register the new name with the appropriate authorities as a result of this court order.
This process includes notifying various government agencies, each of which may require legal proof of the name change and may charge a fee. Important government agencies to be notified include the Social Security Administration, Bureau of Consular Affairs (for passports), the United States Postal Service, and the Department of Motor Vehicles (for a new driver's license or state identification card). Additionally, the new name must be registered with other institutions such as employers, banks, doctors, mortgage, insurance, and credit card companies.
Lauro Law is one of the premier Arkansas LGBT Name Change law firms. We have extensive experience successfully assisting clients through this process.
- Explain the entire Name Change process and how we will facilitate that process
- Explain your rights and responsibilities
- Provide you with appropriate data and information gathering questionnaires
- Create and electronically file the appropriate court documents
- Obtain the necessary certified copies of the order
- Provide you with an Individualized Detailed Roadmap for getting all your identity documents changed
- And assist you if you need help with having these documents updated.
This is one of the most requested legal services we provide for clients. If you are considering legally changing your name we are here to help you through the process. For information about the process we use, court filings requirements and identity documents that need to be changed, please browse through our Library or select Name Change Process.
Lauro Law also assists clients who are seeking a Gender Change in Arkansas. If you are born in Arkansas but currently living in another state, we can help you file a gender change in Arkansas and obtain an updated Arkansas birth certificate.
Select Court Filings the Name Change process in Arkansas.
Select Identity Documents for a list and description of these documents.
November 2016 - FAQ on Name and Gender Changes for Transgender People Post-Election (by NCLRights.org)